Operating an active website is commonly understood as an essential part of conducting business in the modern marketplace. With the increasingly populated internet severing as both a sales portal and marketing platform, your business can’t afford not to be online with its own website.
While everyone recognises the need to have a business website, not everyone has the knowledge or experience to make one that’s effective. An effective website must be able to clearly communicate information to visitors and convert them into leads for your business.
Let’s take a look at some basic steps for creating a business website.
Establish what your goals are
This step can be simple or complicated depending on your individual business circumstances. There are several different reasons to create a business website and you may have one or all of them:
- Building an online presence for your brand
- Providing an information platform for customers
- Providing a sales platform for customers
- Engaging and retaining internet traffic for marketing purposes
Set a strict budget
Websites can be notoriously big money pits, especially for business owners who underestimate the costs it takes to build what they really want. If you’re not strict with your budget and goals then the costs can quickly spiral out of control and leave you with an unsatisfying or unfinished website.
Some common budget considerations are:
- Hiring a web designer
- Hiring a copywriter
- The amount that should be spent on content managements systems (CMS) and optimisation like search engine marketing (SEM) as well as search engine optimisation (SEO)
If you don’t have a lot of capital then you may have to sacrifice some features for the sake of getting a website running at all. The great thing about a website is that, unlike premises, it can be easily changed and updated as your business grows
Secure a domain name
The domain name is one of the most important aspects of your website as it is the main signal to search engines about who you are. This information is what makes you discoverable in internet search results which are the primary source of all website traffic.
Host your website
Websites cost money to host online and unless you’re already an expert it’s probably best to go with a 3rd party hosting solution. There are 3 main types of external web hosting:
- Shared – the website exists on the same server as other websites
- Dedicated – the website is hosted on a sever specifically designed for it
- Collocated – the website is hosted on a dedicated server that is provided by an external web hosting provider
Following these steps you can get started with your own business website that will become an invaluable means of pushing your brand and driving future sales.